It gives us great pleasure to welcome the first of what will hopefully become a regular feature on the Paper Themes wedding blog: ‘7 Wedding Questions’ – where we’ll pop a few questions to some of the most interesting people in the wedding industry.
Without further ado then, we would like to welcome make-up artist and hairdresser Kate Kelvin, who’s based in the south west and whose previous clients include Loose Women’s Lisa Maxwell, OK! Magazine and Channel 5.
1. Hello Kate! First of all, can you tell us who you are, where you’re from and what you do?
Hi, I’m Kate Kelvin freelance hair & make-up artist based in Tetbury, Gloucestershire, specialising in natural make-up and hair styling. Mainly for weddings, TV, editorial and any advertising needing very natural make-up & hair..
2. How did you end up in the wedding industry? What’s your background?
Well I worked in an advertising agency designing ads originally when I left graphic Design college then had my family. After a few years I decided that as I loved all things theatre, I wanted to work behind the scenes, so I did a media make-up & wig dressing course in Gloucester where I won student of the year and Charles Fox make-up Competition. Over the years I have worked in Theatre, Opera, film and now it’s TV, Bridal and advertising.
3. So how soon before the wedding will you get involved? When is best for brides to seriously think out how they want their hair and make-up to look at their wedding?
This depends on the bride really, some book me about a year in advance and have a trial run 3-4 months before the wedding; others book me last minute when they realise they will be too nervous to do their own make-up! I think it’s always best to book as early as possible because if they are a reputable make-up artist they will get booked up pretty quickly…
4. Is there a look that’s really popular right now or does it vary? Do you see trends?
I see trends in the hairstyles mainly. Popular styles at the moment are wavy, natural and a little clipped up with flowers. And of course, anything that Kate Windsor (Middleton) has…
Make-up stays very much the same for me. My brides know that I do natural make-up and I can add a little more drama if they ask..
5. What’s your best bit of hair and make-up advice for brides preparing for their big day?
I would say keep your skin as healthy and hydrated as possible. Try not to stress too much as this results in breakouts. Keep hair trimmed and in good condition as again, stress can take away its vitality.
6. How about the grooms? Are you ever involved with them or are they left to their own devices?
On the odd occasion I’m called in to trim eyebrows, beards or even to camouflage a spot or razor cut.
7. Last but not least, is there a favourite wedding that you’ve worked on? We saw you were featured in OK! Magazine, that must have been quite special!
Yes it was special…I was also on Celebrity Wedding Planner recently. All my weddings are very special to me, I have over 90 booked this year, I get to know the bride and I’m with her on the most amazing day of her life, I feel very privileged to be included and to make her the most beautiful she has ever been.
We’d like to thank Kate for giving up time in her busy schedule and being our first interviewee on the Paper Themes blog. If you would like to find out more about Kate, visit her website, like her on Facebook or follow her on Twitter.
If you’re in the industry or a bride that would like to be interviewed, please get in touch with Liz today!